I have had a wild hair to cook lately, and not the usual way I like to of just throwing a bunch of cans together and/or giving up and ordering from one of the downtown restaurants on my way home from work. I know, shameful.
Anywho, this is as close to jeanooking as I can get (my friend Jeanette is a chef, thus I hearby coin what she does as jeanooking - cooking can be anything, but jeanooking means you are trying to do from scratch, using freaky ingredients and if you are me, turning your kitchen into a mess....in other words, you are not adding hamburger to some stuff in a box and calling it a day). The problem with jeanooking is that I am very slow about it. This in combination with my ADD and flippant attitude about chores is a problem.
Anywho, I made this last night and highly recommend. Even better the next day reheated for lunch. The stuffing would be a great side. I don't know where she found pork chops so low in calories, but for mine I figured one stuffed one is 250 calories, so my serving size was 1, not 2....but I didn't have extra thin chops either.
http://greenlitebites.com/2009/10/06/bulgur-stuffed-pork-with-butternut-squash-apples/
Also made these:
http://greenlitebites.com/2007/11/21/moist-pumpkin-bran-muffins/
They came out very moist. However, not that sweet so if you are looking for sweet, may need to modify w/ some splenda. I am also going to replace the cinnamon with pumpkin pie spice for next batch.
I had to go to Whole Foods to find bulgur and wheat bran. Let me just say, WOW. I could easily fall in love with that store. It is awesome and they actually have some pretty decent sale prices. But, I digress.
Lastly, this is a standby in our house. It is really good and freezes great. If you have not used spaghetti squash, try it! It can be substituted for pasta in any dish and takes on the flavor of any dish.
http://greenlitebites.com/2008/04/27/7-layer-mexican-casserole-idea/
All of these take time of course, but I have had a little extra time this week and am trying to get stocked up for when I don't with lots of healthy pre-made dishes. My biggest problem with cooking is when I get held up at work or have errands and it is after 7pm before I get in....the last thing I want to do is then get in the kitchen.
That said, I did enjoy my cooking night last night and am going to try to have a day a week to do it all...maybe Sunday afternoons.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Bwahahaha! I love the new word "Jeanooking." Very clever. I can't wait until she reads this. That pork recipe looks great! (I STILL have not recovered from my last spaghetti squash debacle. I'm not sure I will be trying it again any time soon.)
I love, love, love it all! You made me smile just reading this and I am definitely trying the pork chop and the mexican casserole recipes. Maybe a little low fat sour cream in one of the layers to give you a little glue to hold it all together? I heart spaghetti squash...mmm and acorn squash, and butternut...all of them. I made butternut and sage ravioli one night using leftover wonton wrappers. Delicious!
I totally understand how hard it can be to cook when you get home so late. My day starts so stinking early that I'm home by 5 pm...with enough time to run or workout and then start dinner. I know I'm lucky. But we still have plenty of quick dinners (I have a new one to post on my blog) and only once or twice a week I make something long like a pot roast or meatloaf. Once a week cooking works for many people, though, so do what you can, and don't sweat the other nights!
Oh, and Ginger, do you need a spaghetti squash tutorial? : )
Post a Comment