Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hilton Head

We took a long weekend (drove down Wed night after work and back on Monday) over Labor Day for our first vacation just us since our honeymoon in 2004. We have been to the beach each year, but with the family, not just us....which do not get me wrong, is great and we love going. We would have gone for a weekend this year too, in addition to our trip, if the timing had worked out.

Anyway, it was nice to get away to catch up and spend time together. We went back and forth about flying somewhere, but in the end could get the most vacation by driving, so we settled on Sea Pines at Hilton Head (love AAA) as it looked perfect for us. You can rent bikes for the week and ride all over...it was beautiful!

We had a one bedroom condo and had breakfasts and lunches in most days. We did dinner out twice, and twice in....once the obligatory pizza for the NC State game and once because we sat on the beach from 3pm to well past sunset and were just way too tired.



One of the nights out we went to Harbour Town, which is a little "town" of shops, restaurants and a marina, complete with a little red and white signature lighthouse.


There is a man there named Greg Russell who has been playing the guitar and singing under the Liberty Oak tree for 32 summers! He plays for all of August I believe and is apparantly a Hilton Head staple, as when he asked "how many of you adults used to come here as a kid and are now here with your kids?" multiple hands were raised. One man even came on stage and sang one of the songs. His kids probably thought he was nuts. Hilarious.


We also went parasailing (very fun) and kayaking (almost ended our marriage). Note to self: get 2 kayaks in the future. Did we learn nothing from previous attempts to canoe together?

All in all we had a fantastic vacation and would highly recommend Sea Pines to anyone looking for the perfect balance of relaxation and activity. We loved it!

4 comments:

The Arnold Family said...

Looks like ya'll had a wonderful time! Jon and I went para sailing on our honeymoon together and loved it!

Jeanette said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. As much as I love Sunset Beach, I have to admit the lowcountry of SC is a very close second for me.

And the kayaking, too funny. I'm still not sure about the kitchen project yet as I've told Jason many times that it would be very sad to get divorced over kitchen cabinets. (I tell him its the joy of marrying a strong woman : )

Amy said...

My family has vacationed at HHI for about 20 years now and we LOVE it! We stay in Palmetto Dunes but would always spend a day at Harbor Town riding bikes and then go listen to Greg Russel sing. And yes I have to admit I have sang on his stage! I have the video to prove it! I was a STAR!!!

Avery & Hailey said...

Great pics!!