Ok, confession time....reading the headlines on the particle smasher thing (Hadron Collider is what it is called I think) in Switzerland earlier this week had me very nervous and feeling anxious. If you do not know what I am talking about, Google it or check out CNN/Fox News (it was much more sensationalized earlier this week than it is now). Anyway, back to my point. Though I rationally I know that worrying like that is ridiculous and disappointing to God, nonetheless it is how I felt.
Well, they say that God gives you what you need when you need it and what he gave me came in the form of my devotionals for the two days I was worrying the most and I wanted to share them as they gave me peace and I really liked them. I have also included two from my friend Amy as hers are similar and I really like them as well. The second one of hers I think could best be summarized by what a pastor at my parent's church told us one Sunday as part of his sermon - "never forget in the darkness what you have been told in the light." I always remember that when I am feeling disconnected from God and really love it. Ok, enough rambling, here they are, I hope you enjoy them as I did:
From Hope for Each Day by Billy Graham
September 9 - Peace in the Storm
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace. ~Romans 15:13
A wonderful old hymn says, "He gives us peace in the midst of a storm." In life we face all kinds of storms. We usually think of the personal "storms" that come our way --- financial worries, problems in our marriage or family, illness, the betrayal of a friend, and so forth. But we face other kinds of storms that threaten to engulf us also: storms of materialism, storms of secularism, storms of moral degeneracy, storms of injustice, terrorism and war.
Do you remember the violent storm that came upon Jesus and His disciples one night onthe Sea of Galilee? His disciples grew panicky --- but Jesus stayed fast asleep. He was at peace because He knew God was in control. He was at peace also because He was sovereign over the storm, and He knew that it would vanish at His Word: "Peace, be still!" (Mark 4:39)
His Word still calms the turmoil in our lives. Is some storm making you fearful today? Stay close to Jesus, for His Word brings peace.
September 10 - Reach for His Hand
The Lord, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you. ~Deuteronomy 31:8
Once many years ago when I was going through a dark period I prayed and prayed, but the heavens seemed to be brass. I felt as though God had disappeared and that I was alone with my trial and burden. It was a dark night for my soul.
I wrote my mother about the experience and will never forget her reply: "Son, there are many times when God withdraws to test your faith. He wants you to trust Him in the darkness. Now, Son reach up by faith in the fog and you will find that His hand will be there." In tears I knelt by my bed and experienced an overwhelming sense of God's presence.
Whether or not we feel God's presence when our way seems dark, by faith we know He is there. You can stake your life on His promise: "I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Heb. 13:5)
My Friend, Amy's, Devotionals
September 9 ~ Walk with me along paths of trust. The most direct route between point A and point B on your life-journey is the path of unwavering trust in me. When your faith falters, you choose a trail that meanders and takes you well out of your way. You will get to point B eventually, but you will have lost precious time and energy. As soon as you realize you have wandered from your trust-path, look to Me and whisper, "I trust You, Jesus." This affirmation will help you get back on track.The farther you roam along paths of unbelief, the harder it is to remember that I am with you. Anxious thoughts branch off in all directions, taking you farther and father from awareness of My Presence. You need to voice your trust in Me frequently. This simple act of faith will keep you walking along straight paths with Me. Trust in Me with all your heart, and I will make your paths straight.
September 10 ~ I am always available to you. Once you have trusted Me as your Savior, I never distance Myself from you. Sometimes you may feel distant from Me. Recognize that as feeling: do not confuse it with reality. The Bible is full of My promises to be with you always. As I assured Jacob, when he was journeying away from home into unknown places, I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go. My last recorded promise to My followers was: Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. Let these assurances of My continual Presence fill you with Joy and Peace. NO matter what you may lose in this life, you can never lose your relationship with Me.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment